John Lloyd Light family
The first arrival of the Light family in Coromandel Valley was John Lloyd Light. He was born in July 1861 in Preston Candover, Hampshire, London to parents Daniel Light (1818-1909) a land measurer, and Elizabeth Rampton (1826-1905).
John arrived in South Australia between 1881 and 1886, but we have no record of the ship he travelled on. In 1886 he registered a business as a painter and decorator.
In 1888, John leased land in Coromandel Valley in Sections 59 and 62 of the Hundred of Noarlunga paying three pounds and a few shillings for it. The leased land ran from today’s Main Road to Light Road and across to Murrays Hill Road. The Lands Titles document lists John as a painter and orchardist. He eventually purchased the land in 1905.
On the 13th June 1889 at the Cherry Gardens residence of her father, John married Jane Mildwaters (born in 1868). Jane’s father was George Mildwaters.
John and Jane Light had five sons;
Henry Lloyd – born 28th April 1891, died 1917
Frank Lindon – born 18th January 1893, died 1959
Percy Wyndham – born 16th October 1894, died 1962
Eric Leland – born 25th August 1896, died 1962
Gerald Rampton (Jack) – born 13th October 1898, died 16 June 1971.
John continued in his painting business until he retired in 1922/23, when his son Eric took over the business.
Eric married Ada Weymouth (1897-1977) on 14th April 1923 and built a house in Station Avenue at Blackwood. On Eric’s retirement, his son Dean continued the business.
Eric was made a life member of the Master Painters Association and Dean was also a member. The family business continued for over 100 years in Blackwood.
In retirement John had no interest in working his land, so his son Percy cleared the scrub up to Murrays Hill Road and after unsuccessfully trying first cows and then fruit trees he planted vines. This proved to be successful for Percy and his wife Zoe.
Sendy, Goldsack and Otto Shearer, who owned the adjacent land, also grew vines.
John’s son Frank became a farmer who married Margaret Winnifred Doley and moved to Coolanie on the West Coast, farming all through the depression years.
As he lived outside of Goyder’s Line, crop failures were not uncommon. Frank didn’t care how much money he made as long as he got fed three times a day and had a good bed to sleep in!
John’s youngest son Gerald (Jack) married Gladys Eliza Weir after the war and trained to be a mechanic. He had his own business in Torrensville and eventually inspected new vehicles purchased by the government until he retired.
Like his father, Henry Lloyd Light was a painter/decorator until 3rd August 1915 when he enlisted at Keswick for service in WW1.
Private Light, 3202, of the 27th Battalion departed for overseas service from Adelaide aboard the HMAT Medic on 12th Jan 1916.
Sadly, Private HL Light died in action at Broodseindre Ridge on 7th Oct 1917. His body lies in the Tyne Cot Military Cemetery, Ypres, Belgium. To learn more about his war service click here.
Percy, Gerald and Eric Light also enlisted and like Henry, they served in the 27th Battalion. All three returned home safely and were discharged in 1919.